What you tried to say to me

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Stunned

What mother would let her (just turned) twelve year old watch the movie “The Deer Hunter”?


Update:

I've been told I'm too sensitive and by reading everyone's comments maybe I am. I saw "The Deer Hunter" when I was seventeen and was very disturbed by the content, possibly because my father fought in Vietnam. The Russian Roulette scenes were brutal and to this day I can’t comprehend how people can hurt each other so viciously.

Also, my sister is very irresponsible with what she lets my niece watch on TV maybe that is why I was so harsh in my post. My niece is afraid if the wind blows and if there is any violence or someone getting shot she cries and screams for my sister to turn the channel. My sister will do just about anything to keep my niece out of her hair, even when the show is very inappropriate for a twelve year old.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

4 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Wow, I have never seen or heard of this movie. That is very strange. So i can't answer your question!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw The Deer Hunter when I was 11ish, I think. My father had me watch it. Yeah, it stuck a lot more vividly with me than I think it would have if I'd watched it when I was older, but I don't remember being traumatized at all, either.

I had been asking about Vietnam, and what it was like (my father did three tours) so we watched a few different movies. Apocalypse Now went mostly right over my head, though.

To each his (or her?) own, I guess!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I am writing to make a suggestion to your blog. If your goal is to have people read your blog for more than a few seconds, I might suggest you make your entries a bit longer.

It is clear some of your readers do not know about this movie. It may be helpful if you provided a summary ( in your own words). This way you are not inviting people to leave your blog to find out about the movie!

If you make it hard, please will just click away.

Hope this helps
Mr Peeves
http://thedailyticket.blogspot.com
http://makeyourblogmoney.blogspot.com
http://lifeannoyances.blogspot.com

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Steve Hayes said...

Someone told me the film The Deer Hunter showed a Ukrainian wedding, so I was curious to see it. After seeing My big fat Greek wedding I was even more curious. I asked my kids to look out for it whenever they went to a video hire place, but they never saw it, and came b ack with Japanese anime and stuff like that.

Then one day my son bought it on DVD for me, and so I finally got to see it. And yes, if he'd been 12, I'd have let him watch it.

Now I'm on the lookout for Morgan, a suitable case for treatment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home