What you tried to say to me

Monday, January 09, 2006

Boring bits

I have switched (yet again) from one anti-depression medication to another, mainly to save money. While my doctor usually gives me samples, he has on occasion been out of my particular brand. I’m relieved that my future out-of-pocket expenditures will be drastically cut. BUT…and this is a large “but”…for the next few weeks, I will be adjusting my dosage to meet my depression needs. I was told by my doctor that the exact dosage can’t be matched (to my previous brand) with any kind of precision so I will start off with the smallest dosage first. It might explain my inability to write many blog entries lately and why I can’t stop crying. Ah, the lovely life of chronic depression.

Before I forget, the reason for my last post was because I sometimes think my niece has tunnel vision. Her focus is usually on herself and what can be done for her. She is only observant if it involves something worthwhile for her. I don’t mean to pick on the girl but at twelve years old I would hope most children know what lasagna is. Or, at least what noodles and pasta are made of. Every dinner she has ever eaten was something along the lines of mac-n-cheese, cereal, Ramen noodles, cereal, Spaghettios, cereal, crackers with cheese slices, mashed potatoes or CEREAL. So, my interest was piqued when she asked my sister if she could have a bit of lasagna (Stouffers) which was being served to my BIL at that moment. Several bites later my niece turns to my sister and with complete sincerity asks, “What’s in lasagna”? I couldn’t believe my ears. Even my sister looked at her a bit cross-eyed and said, “Pasta, mozzarella cheese, hamburger and marinara sauce”. Then my niece asked what pasta was made of and when my sister said flour/wheat my niece just went back to eating and didn’t say another word until she was finished with her meal.

Maybe I’m reacting a bit harsh, but twelve years old and she doesn’t know what pasta is? When it comes to my niece, sometimes, I just walk away shaking my head, the things that come out of her mouth.

5 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

That is very funny about your niece. Kids can be so wierd sometimes! When my cousin was a teenager and started driving, we found out that she didn't know her way around a (very small) town she lived in her entire life. Amazing.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Who is happier?
Your niece who has tunnel vision with her focus usually on herself.
Or you?

Her attitude to life could be very helpful to you so that you can overcome your depression.

God bless.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Maryrose said...

Orikinla,

I feel that you mean well with your comment and the answer to who is happier would be neither of us. My niece is miserable most of the time. What my sister and BIL are teaching are values that include: greed, envy, sloth, selfishness and basically that the world is supposed to cater to her every whim. When my niece is away from home she is not equipped to deal with the “real world” and she comes home from school every day either crying or mad because of some altercation between herself and a school mate. Most of the disagreements revolve around my niece’s selfish behavior and she doesn’t understand why the other kids don’t want to be her friend. I’m her aunt and I have trouble being her friend and I love her to bits.

My blog is just pieces of my life and my writing is quite poor. Most of the time I’m writing while I’m over come by emotions, which gives me some relief but my ability to articulate is lacking. My response to you is two-fold. I feel guilty that I write so negatively regarding my niece so this is an attempt to justify my guilt. Second, I wanted to convey her real personality so you could see the bigger picture.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and I hope my response doesn’t make you feel uncomfortable. I really do appreciate all who comment.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Maryrose said...

Dawn Marie,

That is amazing. I moved around a lot, being an army brat and I can still remember the lay-out of every town I've lived in. In your cousins defense, when you’re a passenger you pay less attention to your surroundings. :-)

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

She couldn't even drive from her house to her old elementary school. Her dad was floored. The fact that she didn't pay attention went right with her personality. She was a pain in the ass. As a grown up, married woman, her life is on track and she straightened out. Maybe there is hope yet for your niece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home