What you tried to say to me

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Unease

I just read a news article at CNN (online) and I’m not sure if I should be angry or happy. There are only a few brief chapters of my childhood that I can remember that bring to mind joy, safety and childish exuberance. When my father was stationed at Ft. Belvoir, Virginia my life was as close to being perfect as a dysfunctional life could ever hope to be. I still remember the smell of the air on crisp autumn mornings and riding my bike for hours Saturday mornings and most of all, my beloved mother always being there for every skinned knee or the fabulous weekend picnics with our neighbors.

When I read the CNN article I felt like someone yanked the last remaining bit of broken foundation from underneath my feet. The gist of the article is this; the military wants to build a theme park next to Ft. Belvoir. I feel very uncomfortable about the whole project but I don’t know why. Maybe I just need some time to process the information.

4 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could understand how you feel. my family and i used to go to this park when i was still a kid. the park was beautiful with all the greens and the ocean was just within your view. now, there are tall buildings around and the park became so commercialized, it just doesn't feel the same anymore. i missed the old setting...

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I saw that and my question is why? Why would the military want a "theme park" What message does that send? On the other hand, gotta pay for that war somehow.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

That's just wierd!

 
At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maryrose, i'd be gone for a while but please remember that you're always in my prayer. i'll miss you, girl. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home