What you tried to say to me

Saturday, September 03, 2005

To give or not to give

My husband will be dropping by our local Red Cross in a couple of days to donate cash for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. As with most people I’ve been praying but with every picture, every news report I feel almost as if I’m suffocating by all the sadness. My husband and I agreed that we want to give a certain amount of monetary aid. As we were discussing the amount (thinking we were alone) my sister remarked that only people that can afford it should give.

I’m not really sure what God would want my husband and me to do in this circumstance. As “house guests” we are putting a strain on my sister and her family just as they are making our lives miserable too. We are in a predicament that is complicated and I’m worried I’m making another bad choice. Should we not give and save ALL of my husband’s paycheck towards getting out of my sister’s house or should we give the amount we originally decided on which is only .0125% of our savings?

I would appreciate another opinion or advice regarding this matter!

10 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I say donate. If you give it away, you'll get it back. Generosity multiplies.

Suzanne

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Joan said...

GIVE! GIVE! GIVE!

What you give away will come back to you. I PROMISE!!!

Good luck in getting your own home!

:-)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Store up treasures in heaven! Trust God and pray for guidance. Personally I think the Salvation Army does a better Job then the Red Cross (a bigger cut of what you give goes to help people, since they have a lower overhead). Many local Churches are also parts of networks helping people displaced, you could look into those to.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you really know your situation. I say give a little at first and then as your situation improves you can give more. The people of New Orleans will need help for a long time to come.

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say don't give just yet. It is most important that you take care of yourself first. This might sound shallow, but we aren't talking about making sure you live extravagantly. Just regularly. There are a lot of people giving who CAN afford to give. The Federal government is sending Billions of dollars. Don't be overcome by a sense of duty.

Give if you can. Sacrifice a luxury or two and give what you saved from that. If you eat out twice a week, eat out only once, and send what you saved.
But don't give if it cuts into your personal goals. You are in need too.

Those of us who have more resources give as much as we can. Some of that is to make sure that other good people like yourself don't have to make their situation worse. Trust me, they are going to get enough money, without causing pain to people who can't afford to give.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have a little money myself. So I gave to my Church, which was collecting to aid people from our sister Churches. It may only be a little, but it makes a bigger and more personal impact that way.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Angelynn said...

Give...even if it's $5, it's $5 more than they had originally.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger ShellBug526 said...

I think you should only give what you can afford. My husband and I live paycheck to paycheck, and it is all we can do to pay our bills, but we have decided to each give $20 from our paychecks, it is all we could afford, but it made me feel like I helped at least a little.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Enviroman said...

No need to wring your hands about whether to give or not to give. Just surf over to Enviroman Says. You will have to surf over there to see what I mean. The frequency and severerity of hurricanes and typhoons like Katrina is influenced by global warming, an environmental problem. And Bush have failed to do his bit for global warming by refusing to ratify the Kyoto Protocol.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Prahalathan said...

Donate why bother to ask?
Nice Blog!
Keep BLOGging!!
Visit my blogs Sometime...
http://prahalathan.blogspot.com/
http://prahalspics.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home