What you tried to say to me

Monday, August 22, 2005

Summer in a Day

One story that had a huge impact on me when I was a child, “All Summer in a Day” (written by Ray Bradbury) came to mind the other day. It’s a simple story but with a very important lesson so I’ll try not to give too much away.

A few days ago, I was given a gift, a gift so intoxicating and precious that the anticipation alone was enough to give me a glimpse of heaven. My husband and I were handed the name and address of a mobile home for sale and the owner was willing to work with our bad credit history. My husband immediately left work and drove to the Trailer Park and took pictures inside and out. At the time, the owner wasn’t available just the Park Manager so hubby wrote down as much info as the manager had available. As soon as my husband came home we scurried into our bedroom with my computer and he plugged in the USB thumb drive and we looked at the pictures together. It was one of those moments in time that will forever be stamped in my brain. We spent hours looking at the pictures, imagining what life would be like, back together in our own cozy home. We chatted about what furniture we would put where or have to purchase, as if we were young newlyweds. Granted, the trailer was small and old but we didn’t care, it was going to be our home and the drama we are currently living in would melt away. We fell asleep that night cradled in the joyfulness of an answered prayer. The next day we were to go over all details and sign on the dotted line. The hour of the appointed time, we were given the news that the deal was off. I can only say that the deal breaker was the fault of the middle man, not me or my husband.

The last few days I have been numb. The shock of a dream lost that was once a reality can be bone crushing. I felt like my life-force was sucked out along with being punched in the gut by a battering ram.

Then, last evening while I was trying to recover from yet another snatched brass ring, I remembered my prayer the night before we were to sign the papers. I prayed that if this deal was to cause my husband and I further plight down the road, for God to take away the offer. My faith tells me that this “deal” wasn’t what God had planned and the sadness that was spreading through my heart and soul lifted. I am incredibly fortunate to have God in my life and His guidance.

Hope…I have hope.

5 Comments:

At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that could be a blessing in disguise. God is in control. that has also been my prayer. my husband has a lot of job offers in the states. i ask God to close the doors of those that aren't His will for him and open those that are.

i believe God is guiding you and your husband so hold on to Him. i'm sure the right one will come very soon.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Corry said...

God prolly heard your prayer:-) Hold on to faith.
Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

God's Grace.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger jennyonthespot said...

Hope... hope in what will come instead, but more importantly - your hope in Christ... Still praying for all of this to come together and you and your hubby to find a place to rest and be safe:)

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger "ME" Liz Strauss said...

That story "All Summer in a Day" was special to me also. I can see how it came to mind for you. I am glad you found meaning in your disappointment.
me

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Christopher Trottier said...

Ray Bradbury is a great writer. Almost as good as Philip K. Dick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home