What you tried to say to me

Friday, July 29, 2005

lovely complexion

Thank you all so much for your kindness. I've received such nice emails and comments and I'm overjoyed at all the love sent my way. I'm deeply sorry that I haven't had the strength to respond to each one of you but in time I'm hoping to email you each personally.


My appointment for the CT scan was a debacle from the get-go. First, I was given the wrong address for the scan and ended up at the Drs. Office that READS the reports but does not do the scan itself. It took the poor confused receptionists about thirty minutes to get the correct address from my doctor’s office. I arrive at the hospital, head to registration and for some reason my orders aren’t readily available. This took time to “fix”. Next, I waited to be seen by the admittance clerk, and then I had paper after paper after paper to read and sign. The best part came when the clerk very sweetly but firmly said that the fee would be $600 dollars (twenty percent of the total cost) and I melted into a gooey thick liquid into my chair. The mental picture in my head of all my savings being spent on my medical bills just made me want to cry where I sat.

Defeated, I was taken to Radiology and given more papers to fill out. The very kind receptionist told me that I would be waiting almost an hour for my scan because since I didn’t show up on time they gave my spot to everyone ahead of me. I sat, feeling a bit miffed at this point for a mix up that wasn’t even my fault. I was also given wrong instructions on what not to eat or drink so as I sat in the waiting room my tongue felt cottony and swollen from not having any water to drink for eight hours. I found out from the scan technician that I could have had water at any time.

The very competent and kind technician explained as I lay on the scan bed/table that I was to have a contrast dye IV inserted into the vein in my arm. No biggie. I have a very good vein that has never given me a bit of trouble. As the tech fiddled with the IV I looked around at the large machine in front of me but I felt a huge pinch in my arm, looked over to see blood squirting all over my arm and the floor. The tech got extremely flustered and grabbed for some nearby towels and gauze to staunch the flow of blood. After gaining control of the bleeding and cleaning up my arm and the floor the tech told me the IV needle broke and the tubing wouldn’t come out of my arm, among other difficulties. What ever that meant. The testing finally took place, and all went well except I couldn’t hold my breath as long as the test called for.

Now, it’s a waiting game. I was told to call for an appointment the middle of next week to speak with doctor and go over the results. I also have an appointment with my regular doctor late next week because my blood test results showed I have Anemia and they need to do more tests for other reasons also.

I’m a mess. I’m tired. But I’m feeling a tiny bit empowered because I’m finally getting to the root of my health problems. I’m so used to having my feelings/aches/pains belittled that I cried in the doctor’s office the other day when my doctor apologized for not being able to help me alleviate my symptoms because of a lack of diagnosis. He APOLOGIZED, to ME. Imagine that.

The best part of the whole day, and I still can’t believe it happened, was the registration clerk told me as I was leaving that my facial complexion was the nicest she’s ever seen. At this point in my life I think that was the most awesome compliment that I could have received. GO ME! :-)

3 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Blogger Wildefrost said...

Oh you poor gal!

You're gonna hate me when I tell you this. I had to go to the ER the other day because I was losing feeling in my my jaw and my neck (probably because of my previous battles with Lyme disease) and I figured better safe than sorry.

They immediately sent me in for a CT-Scan and gave me the results (which were fine) less than an hour later.

I can't believe all you went through to get one. I think the doctors should be paying you for your troubles.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you got that CT scan done and out of the way! Sorry it was such a frustrating day :(

Elvis says hello by the way ;~)

Isn't that a wonderful compliment! I was standing beside a lady in the drugstore just the other day and remarked to her about her beautiful skin. She was 70 years old and had the complexion of a young girl. When she told me she was using a Loreal product, I bought it for myself lol!

*big hugs* Maryrose! I'm keeping you in my prayers 24/7 girlfriend!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I'm so glad you found a doctor who was willing to listen to you. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be to have no one believe you're in pain. Good luck to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home