What you tried to say to me

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Dragging behind her

Night before last my kitty went from her normal (demonic) self to crouching oddly as if she was trying to defecate. She is eight years old, diabetic but healthy. My husband got her in to see the Vet yesterday and was told, after a lengthy exam, that she has developed arthritis. I’m extremely anxious about this diagnosis because when it comes to my cat she is like my child and I wasn’t with my husband during the exam to hear for myself what the vet said. Hubby has a way of losing things in translation. After spending some time on the Internet looking up Feline Arthritis and treatments I’m more anxious than before. The vet prescribed a drug called Metacam which is (according to what I read on the net) only for canines. I read many warnings regarding felines and this drug.

So, Monday I will call the vet myself to gain more clarity and hopefully reduce my anxiety. Until then, could all cat lovers unite and either email me or comment if they have any knowledge on the subject of felines with arthritis? What I’ve noticed in behavioral changes in my cat is that she is dragging her tail, she moves around much more slowly and can’t seem to find a comfortable position, she is eating less and she appears to be in pain. Also, as I said before, once in a while she crouches as if she is trying to have a bowel movement. The dosage of Metacam the vet prescribed is 0.3 mg once daily for three days and then 0.7 mg daily as needed for pain.

I care deeply for this creature that has given me so much more than I have her and if I seem abnormal in my love for her so be it. If any one of you dear bloggers can enlighten me or just tell your story I would be eternally grateful!

5 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love cats but it's my first time to hear cats having arthritis. i hope all will be well with your cat.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you've gotten some answers from your vet by now and that your cat is improving. I'm so sorry to hear that she's not feeling well!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Rosemarie said...

I've actually known a lot of cats with arthritis, although most of them are in the 15-25 age group (two of my cats had it)

It never seemed to bother them TOO much.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about cats, but this is a note from my boss (her cat had arthritis as well) ..

Your friend might want to try this, Tux took it for awhile and it seemed to help. Unfortunately, cats can't take a lot of the pain-relievers that dogs can. This website also has some good articles on older cats (there are links on the same page).

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat was just prescribed Metacam for post surgery pain. The drug has shut down her kidneys and she has been on an IV in the "hospital" for 3 days. I have been researching this drug and am skeptical about its use in cats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home