What you tried to say to me

Friday, April 08, 2005

Take out the trash

From the sister who spends her days sleeping, watching TV, shopping on eBay (for hours), whining about her husband or child, drinking coffee all day and eating Godiva chocolates.

Sis: (in kitchen)…why do I always have to take the trash out? (In her most frighteningly whiny voice).

Sis: DID YOU HEAR ME?

Me: (from living room)…are you speaking to moi?

BIL: What honey? (In his sweetest, yet unconvincingly caring voice)

Sis: Yes you!

Me: I can’t hear, what are you saying?

Sis: Why do I always have to take the trash out? I’m the one that has to do EVERYTHING around here. I’m sick of taking the trash out and everything else.

BIL: (puts his headphones on and pretends to listen to something of great importance on his computer)

Me: …………………………..

Sis: Well?

Me: (trying very hard not to say what I really feel)…I’ve taken the trash out several times.

What I really feel.

My sister works around her home as much as a dead person does. If a mummy was propped up on the couch next to my sister I would seriously have to consider which one did more work. I have never understood her extreme apathy. She is healthy, able and nothing is in her way from being the best housekeeper, mother, wife, sister or whatever. Since my husband and I have lived in her home (over a year) she has dusted only once. She vacuums roughly once every two weeks and does laundry when they are down to their last clean pair of undies. As for cooking, let’s just say she doesn’t. This is what she feeds her husband for dinner:

Sandwich & chips

Microwave lasagna

Soup heated and served in the same pan with crackers

Cereal (more than twice a week) and she makes him get it

Fast food (that she makes my husband bring home)

Then, for my niece it’s usually cereal for dinner or macaroni and cheese. I don’t think my niece has ever really eaten a complete meal, not that she would if you gave it to her.

Also, my sister is forever asking her husband to do things for her that are what she considers too difficult. Difficult things would be sewing buttons, helping my niece with her homework, or just anything she doesn’t want to do at that moment.

What I’m trying to say, is that my sister does nothing around the house yet she complains to me that she does it all. She slowly but surely pushes more and more household tasks on me because she feels I am her personal slave. The appreciation factor I feel for her giving my husband and I a place to stay is dissolving slowly but surely. I already do all the kitchen work for a household of slobs, prepare the coffee maker every night for the next day consumption, baby-sit occasionally, listen to her whine night and day, keep her child occupied (at least twice a day) so that she can have some alone time, baby-sit her dog (don’t ask me to explain this), spend countless hours a day trying to cheer up my sister as she is “depressed” plus a variety of other miniscule tasks. As I’ve said before I am practically an invalid. I suffer from two major illnesses, depression and a few undiagnosed maladies that put me in a chair and keep me from having a life. I can’t stand for more than a few minutes and yet my sister complains that I don’t do enough. She is in denial about the choices she makes and how she treats people. When I started this post I was so angry at how badly my sister treats me but now I just feel sorry for her.

Okay, I feel better now.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to have a place to write about what's bothering us. So much better than holding it all in. I'm glad you felt better after posting. I'm praying that you and your husband can one day soon have your own place to live :)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Does she not work or anything? She stays at home and does...what exactly? I have to admit, what you listed is more than I do, but I also work at least 60 hours a week...I hope that counts for something? I'm feeling awfully guilty...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home