What you tried to say to me

Monday, February 20, 2006

Where I’ve been…


…actually I haven’t stepped foot out of this house. I took my fragile heart and psyche, wrapped it in a cocoon and shut out all distractions. My mind-game of “illness denial” faded and in its place I was clobbered with the reality that my flame is going to burn out slowly but oh so ugly and painfully. My sight is deteriorating along with my right lung. It’s a very slow decline but I can’t seem to bounce back from each attack on my system. I guess I use denial or I block out chunks of time as a way to cope but it doesn’t last.

I don’t know how to be selfless, to take each blow with grace and not complain. Other people suffering much more than I handle their suffering without caving into the fear and pain. I never planned for this form of poor health. I always imagined dying quickly or suddenly but instead it’s a slow deliberate stalking of every joy or bit of normalcy that made up what was once my life.

So, I go to my safe place, inside my head and hide. Eventually, my coping mechanism resets and I “pretend” I will heal and resume my life.

I don’t have much support in my face-to-face world, so it is with much gratefulness that I thank all the wonderful bloggers that have been there for me. You all are a tremendous spiritual lift and I owe you what’s left of my sanity. THANK YOU!

7 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

I know that life has been unkind, Maryrose, so here's a big hug for you. I know it's not as effective as the real thing and if I could I would, you know that :)

Hang in there, kiddo!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

I have blocked out chunks of my life before too. I don't like it and I take antidepressents. I don't know what kind of illness that you have, but if you can, they might help uplift you. Too bad you don't have a pet, they are supposed to lengthen your life!

Feel better, ok?

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Corry said...

I admire the people that set their feelings aside and fill others needs inspite of their hurt. I am like you, I have to retreat and I feel sorry for myself untill I get the energy back to "go again". I hate it when that happens and try to set it aside but so far, unsuccesfully, yet, sigh. But hey...in God, anything is possible!!!:-)

Love you MarieRose, still praying for you (hugs)

God's Grace.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Dr.John said...

Glad to see you back. I can feel with you because I have two malfunctioning diagaphrams . I have to sleep at night with a device that in effect does my breathing for me.
I have decided not to retreat but to live every day till the lungs don't work at all. I have decided to laugh at my illness so that I don't have to cry. I have tried to see the hand of my loving God in all of this. I will keep reading your blog and add you to my prayer list.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Mrs. Darling said...

sending love to you mary rose.

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am also like you in many ways. i fall and i bounce back. i go in hiding and go face the world again.
just remember that no matter what, we are all here to cheer you up. luv yah, sis. =)

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Morris said...

I hope things get better for you

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home