What you tried to say to me

Friday, February 10, 2006

Explanations

Several bloggers have written to me stating they don’t understand why my husband and I still live in my sisters home if we have enough money to pay over six-hundred dollars a month rent and this is why…bad credit. It’s not the only reason but it is the main reason. The other day I began a search of my archives hoping for a post that would explain our financial mess but I became a bit depressed after reading some old posts. So, I’ve decided to (as brief as I can) write down all the embarrassing details:

A culmination of 5 job lay-offs (between both my husband and I) in eight years, the last one due to the September 11th terrorist attack, very effectively wiped out our savings and any monetary resources we had. My health began to decline and my husband looked for employment for almost two years without even a nibble by any company. We were living in Seattle and at that point Boeing was laying off thousands of people and the economy was abysmal. After all our money was gone, even unemployment, we were evicted from our apartment and spent the next six months homeless living in our car.

Finally, my husband was given a temporary job that lasted a month. On the heels of that job my husband was offered a contracting position that lasted four months. After this job ended my husband and I moved in with my sister and BIL in the belief that another contracting job would begin in five weeks and we would be only staying in their home as visitors and not living there full time. The job fell through and it would be a couple of months before he found another position. After much thought, my husband and I agreed that we needed a place to stay while we save enough money to buy a travel trailer or mobile home; something that was paid for completely so there would be no fear of eviction if our financial situation became dire as before. We’ve tried to rent rooms, apartments or homes but due to the legal action against us from the eviction and tons of other bills we haven’t yet paid off, our credit rating is such that no one will rent to us.

Basically, we have a list of bills that we are slowly paying off, along with new and old medical bills, while trying desperately to put as much money into savings and pay rent to my sister. The monthly rent has only recently been raised to $600 hundred a month because my BIL no longer has a job. I don’t feel my BIL and sister are being fair about the amount or fair in their treatment of my husband and me but it is what it is. Moreover, there are several more factors that I haven’t included in my blog that would make my decision a bit more clear but I’m not ready to write about them. I wrote this post merely to help readers get a bit of the bigger picture. For those of you who have heard all this before, sorry for the redundancy.

I want to write more but I’ve been coughing almost all morning and I’m exhausted. Thanks for your interest in my life and I love you all. :)

4 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

I am going to ask if you have looked into something that I am usually against, but may work if you find the right company- here I go!

Have you tried debt consolidation? One that won't ruin your credit further? Or, (and this I have done personally and still get people to rent to us) have you thought of claiming bankruptcy? It isn't as bad as it seems. Many people think, mistakenly, that you can't get credit for 7 years, but it isn't true. You just can't file for bankruptcy again for 7 years. Either one of these might make it easier to save up some money for a camper or trailer. My inlaws live in a fifth wheel- they bought it used. You may find a good deal somewhere on something similar. They just park it in a regular trailer park.

Good luck, I understand how bad things can get. So far, we have just gotten very lucky! I can't wait for our tax return so I can pay off some bills that are piling up. Oh the darn stress!

Even if you still need to stay with your family, due to personal reasons, I would still look into those two options I gave you. You never know what could happen.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to mention bankruptcy as well. It could really help you guys break away faster from your family. I've known several people that have gone bankrupt and it really helped them.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Corry said...

God knows all about it and He will lead if you let Him. May He provide soon.
Love you girl, you are in my prayers.

God's Grace.

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all of us are going through something one way or the other. but we shouldn't lose hope because God is on our side. God will provide all your needs. i'm asking God for provision too because we also have lots of bills and debts to pay.

hang in there, girl. you'll get pass that too. soon.

God bless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home